Monday, April 27, 2009

Strawberry Pretzel Salad

I was actually feeling pretty good this weekend so I decided to have my Mom and Grandma over for dinner Sunday evening. I was busy trying to come up with some sort of dessert to serve with the meal and with the help of some good people on allrecipes I think I came up with a winner. I have never had a strawberry pretzel salad before and believe it or not this was pretty easy to make. It was even easier to eat!! Hope you enjoy as much as we did.

Strawberry Pretzel Salad~
Ingredients:
2 C. crushed pretzels
3/4 C. melted butter
3 T. white granulated sugar
1-8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 C. granulated white sugar
1-8 oz. container frozen whipped topping, thawed
2-3 oz. packages strawberry flavored gelatin
2 C. boiling water
2-10 oz. packages frozen strawberries

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2.) Stir together crushed pretzels, sugar, and melted butter. Mix well and press mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
3.) Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until set. Set aside to cool.
4.) In a large mixing bowl cream together cream cheese and 1 cup of sugar. Fold in whipped topping. Spread mixture onto cooled crust.
4.) Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in frozen strawberries and allow to set briefly. When mixture is about the consistency of egg whites, pour and spread over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until set.

Now as usual I rushed through the directions and I actually made the jello according to the box, so not only did I add 2 cups of boiling water, I also added 2 cups of cold water. One of these days I promise I will gather some patience when baking and follow directions to the T. Also, 2 cups of crushed pretzels is not enough, I think I used closer to 3, maybe even 3.5. Next time I may even use more because the crust layer is pretty thin when compared to the cream cheese and strawberry layer. Of course we can't really consider the strawberry layer since it's two cups of water thicker than what it should have been...lol. The extra water caused the strawberry layer to be a little on the runny side...please don't add the extra two cups of water or when you cut into it yours will look like mine did. Who cares though...it tasted really good. Also, we purchased the while frozen strawberries and since the recipe didn't really state whether you should use whole or not I didn't cut mine up. Next time I will definitely cut them in half to make them easier to eat.

Recipe courtesy of allrecipes!!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I have heard of this salad before, but never tried it. It looks really yummy. I'll bet it would be great to take to a picnic or bbq.

Lissaloo said...

Yum, I have seen this one and wondered if it was any good, now I know! It looks delicious! :)

Pam said...

I love salty and sweet desserts so this is my kind of dish. Very creative!

Katie said...

This was so good, we can't get enough of it. It will only be made occasionally as both Daniel and I have destroyed it. I think we have both had two pieces each the past two days. So good.