Monday, October 19, 2009

Meatloaf for a crowd

I absolutely love meatloaf with mashed potatoes and a side of green beans, it's the ultimate comfort food in my book and growing up my step-mom made the absolute best hands down. She is your typical home cook...someone who puts a little bit of this and a little bit of that into something therefore I was never given an actual recipe. I did watch her make it enough growing up that I had an idea of the ingredients. I think she only made it when I was around because after her pregnancy with my sister Nikki she had a thing about raw meat leaving her unable to touch the stuff. She would throw everything in the bowl and in I would go. Today though I despise that task mainly because the ingredients are so cold my hands about freeze off so tonight I used a potato masher and I must say, it worked pretty well.

Now I pretty much doubled my normal recipe because money is tight for us right now and I plan on having this as leftovers for awhile but you are more than welcome to split everything in half. Anyone else love meatloaf sandwiches for lunch??? I DO, I DO!!!


Katie's Yummy Meatloaf

Ingredients:

4lbs. lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups ketchup, Heinz please
2 C. italian bread crumbs
1 tbsp. black pepper
3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 eggs
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 md. onion, finely diced
ketchup for topping

Directions:

1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

2.) In a large mixing bowl add ground beef, ketchup, bread crumbs, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, garlic powder, and onion. Mix thoroughly. You can either use your god given utensils or use a potato masher.

3.) Divide evenly and place into a loaf pan. Smash down to get rid of any empty spaces. Top each loaf with extra ketchup and with a back of a spoon spread evenly.

4.) Bake for 1.5 hours or until cooked through.

The very first time I made this for my brothers and step-dad they were in heaven. My Mom's meatloaf didn't include any ketchup and as you can see mine has lots. Ketchup was a staple in our house. My brothers put ketchup on just about everything, turkey at Thanksgiving, and what is probably the worst...bologna sandwiches...gag me please!! So as you can imagine a meatloaf with ketchup in it was a winner in their book!

I really hope your family enjoys this, I can't even begin to tell you how yummy this is with mashed potatoes. Excuse me a second, I have to wipe up the drool!! And yes, that's more ketchup on top you see, as if there wasn't enough in the recipe I have to go and add more.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Katie, I too am in love with all things meatloaf. I use ground turkey because of the aversion to beef Mr. Sister has. I use lots of herbs and spices but omit the ketchup. Regardless, I so agree that meatloaf (with potatoes and green beans) is the ultimate comfort food. So glad to see you posting!

Raoulysgirl said...

Yay for meatloaf...and mashed potatoes...and...corn! I prefer corn as my veggie with meatloaf and mashers. Gotta load up on the starches! Actually, it's because I like to mix my corn and mashed potatoes together...juvenile, I know! I like ketchup on my meatloaf, too!!!

Cassie said...

YUM! I'm with you -- I love a good meatloaf, and leftover sandwiches are the best!

Willoughby said...

I haven't had a meatloaf sandwich since I was a kid! I'll have to change that when I make meatloaf later this week.