Monday, October 19, 2009

Meatloaf for a crowd

I absolutely love meatloaf with mashed potatoes and a side of green beans, it's the ultimate comfort food in my book and growing up my step-mom made the absolute best hands down. She is your typical home cook...someone who puts a little bit of this and a little bit of that into something therefore I was never given an actual recipe. I did watch her make it enough growing up that I had an idea of the ingredients. I think she only made it when I was around because after her pregnancy with my sister Nikki she had a thing about raw meat leaving her unable to touch the stuff. She would throw everything in the bowl and in I would go. Today though I despise that task mainly because the ingredients are so cold my hands about freeze off so tonight I used a potato masher and I must say, it worked pretty well.

Now I pretty much doubled my normal recipe because money is tight for us right now and I plan on having this as leftovers for awhile but you are more than welcome to split everything in half. Anyone else love meatloaf sandwiches for lunch??? I DO, I DO!!!


Katie's Yummy Meatloaf

Ingredients:

4lbs. lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups ketchup, Heinz please
2 C. italian bread crumbs
1 tbsp. black pepper
3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 eggs
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 md. onion, finely diced
ketchup for topping

Directions:

1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

2.) In a large mixing bowl add ground beef, ketchup, bread crumbs, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, garlic powder, and onion. Mix thoroughly. You can either use your god given utensils or use a potato masher.

3.) Divide evenly and place into a loaf pan. Smash down to get rid of any empty spaces. Top each loaf with extra ketchup and with a back of a spoon spread evenly.

4.) Bake for 1.5 hours or until cooked through.

The very first time I made this for my brothers and step-dad they were in heaven. My Mom's meatloaf didn't include any ketchup and as you can see mine has lots. Ketchup was a staple in our house. My brothers put ketchup on just about everything, turkey at Thanksgiving, and what is probably the worst...bologna sandwiches...gag me please!! So as you can imagine a meatloaf with ketchup in it was a winner in their book!

I really hope your family enjoys this, I can't even begin to tell you how yummy this is with mashed potatoes. Excuse me a second, I have to wipe up the drool!! And yes, that's more ketchup on top you see, as if there wasn't enough in the recipe I have to go and add more.




5 comments:

5thsister said...

Katie, I too am in love with all things meatloaf. I use ground turkey because of the aversion to beef Mr. Sister has. I use lots of herbs and spices but omit the ketchup. Regardless, I so agree that meatloaf (with potatoes and green beans) is the ultimate comfort food. So glad to see you posting!

Raoulysgirl said...

Yay for meatloaf...and mashed potatoes...and...corn! I prefer corn as my veggie with meatloaf and mashers. Gotta load up on the starches! Actually, it's because I like to mix my corn and mashed potatoes together...juvenile, I know! I like ketchup on my meatloaf, too!!!

Cassie said...

YUM! I'm with you -- I love a good meatloaf, and leftover sandwiches are the best!

Willoughby said...

I haven't had a meatloaf sandwich since I was a kid! I'll have to change that when I make meatloaf later this week.

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com