Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas

I have been making these for several years and it was something that I just came up with one evening. I was forced to use the items that were in my pantry and everything just sort of took off from there. My family as usual really enjoys them and they are so simple to prepare.

Chicken Enchiladas~
4 chicken breasts
8 tortilla shells
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 onion, finely diced
2 tbsp. taco seasoning
1 tbsp. garlic salt
2 cans enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cheese
sour cream
green onions

Directions:
1.) Bring to a boil in a large stock pot enough water to cover the chicken, add garlic salt and chicken and boil for 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked through.

2.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

3.) Once chicken has cooked and cooled, finely dice. I normally use my food processor but this time I just whacked it around with my knife until I got very fine pieces.

4.) In a large bowl mix together chicken, diced onion, cream of chicken soup, and taco seasoning.

5.) Spoon about 1/3 of a cup onto each tortilla shell and roll.

6.) In a 9x13 baking dish, spoon a thin layer of your enchilada sauce onto the bottom and begin placing the rolled enchiladas side by side. Top with the remainder of your enchilada sauce and then sprinkle on your cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until cheese has melted and the sauce around the edges is bubbly.

7.) Garnish with sour cream and green onions.


*You can also garnish with fresh tomato or black olives depending on your families preferences and instead of boiling your chicken you can also saute it in a skillet with about a tablespoon of butter and garlic salt. Once it's cooled you can whack it around just like you would if you had boiled it. I have always boiled it because it takes less work and you can sneak away from your stove for a few minutes and catch up with your blog reading.

I apologize for the horrible picture but it's the only one I managed to get of the dish. I made the enchilidas at home and then transported them to my Aunt and Uncles for the dinner. We were also outside in the bright sunlight and it was hard to see the quality of the picture when I took it. I am sure you all will forgive me though!



4 comments:

Lissaloo said...

Your forgiven, but only because they sound so scrumptious! So far I still can't do spicy, I tried- bad idea. They told me to give it two months after the surgery :( I am missing Mexican food :(

Heidi said...

What great sounding enchiladas. I don't think your picture is bad. They look good enough to eat!

Willoughby said...

This recipe looks soooo good! We have Mexican food at least once a week, so I'm definitely going to try this.

Melody said...

I am a sucker for Mexican food. This looks delish!